Sorry for the long delay in getting an update published to Depth of Extinction. We have been busy with implementing some pretty big changes to the game, as well as letting players at OrlandoIX try them out about a week ago. This update does reset save games, so be warned, but I think it's a significant enough change that you will be excited about the changes and what we are going to do over the next 10 weeks in preparation for launching the game on Steam in November! Wishlist the game here!
Change summary for Build 32/33:
- Status Effects are implemented. Refer to our previous blog for details there. Weapon status changes should display in the UI. The laser weapons that the Feral Androids use has a change to set you on fire, and Cultist weapons have a chance to poison. Medkits and health stims can remove status and also have a chance to start regen where you will gain even more health over a few turns.
- The Mission Screens are updated to make each area navigable and give you choices about the type of encounter you want to have
- Each game has a goal to accomplish and a clear map node to progress toward
- Encounters are not always battles. Sometimes there is a random outcome like getting an item or character
- Movement on the map consumes fuel in your sub. You can find more fuel on Fuel Depot encounters or as a random drop on missions
- The overlay grid is no longer squares but just outlines the movable area
So what is next in Build 34?
- Expand on the new encounter system with more interesting details and some polish
- Unlockable sub types to give different starting bonuses and different interaction types
- Sub damage as another manageable element
- More missions
Additionally here are some things we would like to get done before launch:
- Building out more content, including more variation in the maps, more background elements and just general improvements to the visuals on a mission
- A few more classes and skills
- Improved enemy AI
- Gamepad support (not sure yet if it will be full or partial at launch)
- Some plumbing for the Steam platform including cloud saves, achievements and possibly trading cards
That's all for today. As always, love to hear your comments!