Wow, this build is pretty huge. It's our last build before GDC and we wanted to get as much in as possible for people we might show it to this week. And we certainly got a lot into this one. If you are planning to be at GDC and want to check out the Build, or just chat, then please follow me on twitter @mikest34 and if you have "@GDC" in your name, then I'll follow back and we can DM.
Buy a discounted First Access key here on itch! (includes a Steam key!)
New interior facility layouts that are closed in and more complex. We also separated the facility into rooms and added doors into the picture. To open a door, just position a character next to it and click on it. Opening a door doesn’t use an action. Enemies will also open doors if they are pursuing you!
We had a lot of reports of “delays” in between turns. I guess it was something we weren't noticing... until we fixed it. Now it’s pretty obvious and the game feels much tighter. Love to get feedback on this change and if you all feel we should tighten it up even more.
It’s a Trap! Yes, you’ve seen this on the encounter text, but now this is our first “new” scenario. In a trap mission, your team spawns deep in the facility and must get back to the sub. Unfortunately for you, a lot of enemies will be hunting you. I had a lot of fun playing these and they have a very different feel since the enemy is the aggressor.
New Facility types: Farms, Reactor and Hospitals. We got a lot of new art for farms put together and some new reactor set pieces. You’ve probably seen the hospital stuff before but now we’ve made it into a cohesive level.
Missions will now "auto end" if all enemies are dead and all loot is picked up (including enemy drops).
Notifications look different now and are consistent between the mission screen and the tactical screens. They pop up on the side. We also added a new modal box to let you see what you’ve picked up on the mission. The mission screen will give you notifications when a new area is unlocked, a new sub is available or a new recruit has joined the team.
We now give you a new recruit after every completed objective.
Character voice over removed and replaced with a “text dialog” system. This is the first version, so expect to see some issues with it but I think it’s much more interesting and we are better able to customize the dialog to the character class.
New Loot and Level Up screens now only appear by clicking buttons that appear on the mission screen. The buttons will wiggle a bit to get your attention if you have a level up.
- A lot of edge cases that were giving us trouble when you completed and/or failed an objective. Hopefully these scenarios are more solid now!
- Not really a bug really, but most enemy armor couldn’t be equipped by females. We have the female version of most armors ready for female team members now. Still working on a couple, but they are for late game enemies.
- Tutorial requires selecting 3 characters
- Equipping issues that resulted in the armor having the wrong gender (male wearing female, etc) or duplicates of equipment ending up in inventory
- Issues with the out of fuel equipment sales box
- Can now revisit the boss map node if you previously said you didn’t want to do so
- Equipment not cleared from permanent characters after an objective completed
- Kill Shot skill is now working
- Double Tap skill was not working with Automatic Rifle
- Enemies no longer teleport into view
- On Windows and Linux, the game would always start in windowed. If you played previously, you may have to manually set it to full screen but it should stay there now.
- A lot of small stuff that doesn’t warrant a bullet :)
Bugs we were unable to confirm
- Had a few reports of higher level characters being removed from the team. We couldn’t confirm this and didn’t get a save file, so if this happens to you then we’d love to get that save as soon as you notice it! It’s possible that the other fixes resolved it though.
- We had a report that skill tool tips aren’t working everywhere but also couldn’t find this one. If you see something, say something!
- We’ve definitely seen some issues with the game not saving at times and are still looking into this one.